Sustainability – Increasingly Important
The global climate challenge is perhaps the most pressing issue for mankind to address in the coming years, something that has recently been confirmed (again) by the IPCC. The digital infrastructure has a significant and growing footprint of carbon emissions globally, making initiatives and actions to combat this within the industry increasingly important. Perhaps this is the greatest challenge that we have ever faced, however, never before have we been so well equipped to handle it. As technology becomes more present in our daily lives, the importance for digital infrastructure to be environmentally sound becomes ever more vital.
Our Vision: Every Click Improves the Future
- Through our members community, iMasons and our Sustainability Committee support the build-out of a global digital infrastructure that contributes to global GDP and society without harming people or the planet.
- Inspire, encourage, and develop resources to help the digital infrastructure sector reduce its environmental impact
- Increase awareness of the sustainability dimension throughout the industry of digital infrastructure
- Create a demand for new solutions, and then support a positive development through collecting and sharing best practices globally
- Reduce the overall life-cycle carbon emissions from digital infrastructure
- Establish an industry best practice framework for the design, build and operation of a full life cycle aware sustainable data center to help guide owner/operators, providers, supply chain professionals, and policy makers.
In April 2020 the Sustainability Committee published the Circular Economy Whitepaper. This document shows how the Circular Economy concept can be applied by datacenter designers and operators as part of a holistic strategy to reduce their consumption of resources and impact on the earth.
Sustainability Committee Chair
In late 2018, Patrik assumed the responsibility as Chair for iMason’s Sustainability Committee. In this capacity, Patrik leads the committee in its mission to inspire, encourage, and develop resources to help the digital infrastructure sector reduce its environmental impact.
Patrik Öhlund is a business executive with over 20 years of experience in the telecom and utility industries. In the beginning of 2017, he assumed the role as the CEO of Node Pole, a renowned brand and marketing company in the DC industry.
Prior to his current assignment, Patrik led the Finance, Strategy and IT operations in Vattenfall’s Hydro Power division as CFO ($1-1.5B annual t/o).
Sustainability Committee Members
How to Participate
All iMasons members are invited to participate in our Committees, Member Resource Groups, and Local Chapters. To get engaged, sign into the iMasons App and select ‘Groups’.