The Sustainability Champion Award recognizes people who are moving the needle globally on digital infrastructure through measurable results. Our vision is to find solutions to protect generations to come.
2023 finalists and winner are selected by the iMasons Sustainability Committee.
WINNER: Svein Atle Hagaseth
Svein Atle Hagaseth is the Chief Executive Officer of Green Mountain, a company that has set the ambition of “Setting the green standard” in the data center industry. He has been a visible advocate of this vision since joining the company in 2016, and has played a key role in raising the bar for sustainable data centers.
Today, Green Mountain is one of the most energy-efficient data center providers in the market, with 100% renewable energy and close to zero CO2 footprints. Svein has overseen the implementation of a number of innovative initiatives to achieve:
- Volkswagen Group calculated that with their recent expansion at
- Green Mountain they can obtain annual CO2 savings of 10,000 tons.
- Green Mountain has reduced its CO2 emissions by 9.8% in 2002.
- Green Mountain increased its waste sorting from 76% to 92% in 2022.
- Green Mountain increased its share of female employees from 15% to 18% in 2022.
Svein is also a passionate advocate for sustainability within the broader data center industry. He is a frequent speaker at conferences and events, and shares his knowledge and vision in both traditional and social media. He also speaks regularly with authorities and national politicians to create sustainable framework conditions for the industry.