Italy Local Chapter Meeting
The working group of The iM Italy Local Chapter met at the Politecnico di Milano to discuss the objectives of the Local Chapter and associated activities. The meeting was Chaired by Professor Enrico Zio and attended by senior iMasons Italian members
The discussions fell into 2 broad categories:
Accelerate Development of Italian Market Opportunities
The Chapter discussed:
- The status of Italian Digital Infrastructure in terms of attracting and supporting new investment. Success stories were discussed.
- Existing infrastructure and how does Italy compare to other countries.
- How other countries have successfully developed Digital Infrastructure – and attracted investment – should Government support an “Invest in Italy” program?
- iMasons Italy Chapter will engage ANIE (Italian Engineering Trade Body) to establish what Government Departments are responsible and what help iM Italy could provide or how iM Italy can contribute.
- The Chapter also discussed who else should be involved in the Local Chapter – e.g. at the moment there are no Telco.
Talent and Awareness
The Chapter discussed iMasons Scholarships, Awareness, Diversity and Inclusion work. iMasons is well placed to translate the needs to industry (Demand) into content provided by EDU (supply)
An important project is the iM Job Ladder – a list of the full spectrum of jobs in Digital Infrastructure – this will help attract young people (who aren’t aware of the many interesting career options available) Once this has been determined a next step would be to overlay a “heat map” – i.e. which jobs are in most demand.
The iM Italy Chapter discussed and concluded there are actually 4 steps before University Deans can be engaged – and this is where iMasons can help
1. Job Ladder (All Jobs)
2. What skills are associated with each job – so EDU providers can include this information in the curriculum
3. Heat Map – what jobs are most in demand – so EDU providers can prioritize these jobs
4. Evidence that there are real jobs waiting for people – so EDU providers have confidence to develop suitable courses
Professor Zio will attend the iMasons “Job Ladder” Workshop in Monaco 4th June.